Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Work/Life Balance

Every employer probably talks about how it's very important to have a work/life balance. I think I had a decent work/life balance when I lived in Dallas. I'm yet to come up with an appropriate balance in Austin. Part of the problem is the 40 hour work week. Part of the problem is actually having to be at work by a certain time. Part of the problem is that my life generally takes place after 10pm, and a few things go after midnight. Another part of the problem is that I don't have an established friend base here, so it takes extra time to get the same amount of enjoyment.

Lately, I've been giving work the priority (since money is very nice), and leaving dances and other events earlier than I would like, so I can almost get enough sleep for the next day. I think this has caused me to have an excess of stress in general (since I'm not able to enjoy myself as much). I'm also thinking that this practice might be causing me to miss some social opportunities with high potential, if you know what I mean. The real question is, how do I give myself more fun time, and still be mildy functional at work (preferably moreso)?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

create more fun/social opportunities--i.e. dinners.